Monday, March 11, 2013

Happy Birthday Avery

Like I said last time, with every birth there is a story…luckily this one is much better than the last. Well, birthing experience anyway, so here it goes…

2013-01-16 001 001

We woke up at 6 am on the dot, to call the hospital to make sure they had sufficient staff for our induction.  I of course didn’t sleep at all, because I wanted to have Avery the next day, but didn’t want to get my hopes up and it not happen.  We were all cleared, and told to arrive at 7:30. So, I hoped in the shower and did my best to settle my nerves that were coursing through my body.  I just wanted time to pass so quickly! We took a quick picture of our last time as a family of 3, and I kissed my first born “bye bye.”  I started crying, as I shut the door, as he called for me.  Part of me wanted to run back inside and hold onto our sweet only child for just a little longer, but then I remembered this new sweet one we would be meeting in a few short hours.

On the way to the hospital, flashbacks started…the ones that women say they forget…I began to get very nervous about the pain, about having 2 children to raise, about being away from Taylor. How was I going to get through this!?  Then, I looked at my husband who told me everything was going to be okay.  Oh how I love him.

Once we arrived, it was deja vu.  We were admitted into the same room.  We had the same delivery nurse.  My doctor was doing the delivery. I had my pink pillow.  And now it was time for the epidural!    They broke my water at 9 am and started me on the Pitocin.  I asked for the epidural right away, but they wouldn’t give me one until I started to feel contractions, so the waiting game began.  It took a little while for things to get moving, but once they did, Casey knew just what to do and he reassured me every step of the way.  I made sure that I told the anesthesiologist that it did NOT work last time, so he gave me a booster that I could give myself every 20 minutes, in which I was sure to use, exactly every 20 minutes.  The one and only thing that I can even complain about this time is that I went from a 4 to 9 in a matter of 30 minutes. The nurses were shocked!  I’m not sure how many times I had to push, but it was only for about 25 minutes, which compared to last time, was a breeze!  Plus, when your drugs work, awesome!

Since Taylor was a preemie, I wasn’t able to hold him first.  This time, I was able to spend those quality first moments with our new son.  Don’t get me wrong, I loved Taylor’s birth, this one was just more pleasant, and I was able to enjoy the little moments in between.   

After meeting Avery it was the same feeling I had just over 2 years ago.  Pure love.

 

2013-01-16 001 002

2013-01-16 001 004

2013-01-17 001 004

2013-01-17 001 006

2013-01-20 001 001

2013-01-23 001 002

No comments: