Thursday, October 8, 2009

Learning How to Garden...The Northern Way

This spring, when we were re-landscaping our front area, I just had to have roses. I love everything about roses and wanted a couple of rose bushes of my own, that I could cut flowers an place on our table, and that I could simply enjoy for the couple of months that they would bloom. They grew quite a bit this past season, but I need to keep them alive (and warm) for the winter. This weekend it is supposed to snow, yes SNOW, so I had to get a move on trying to keep them alive. After many questions and research as to how to keep them alive I went to work yesterday. Here is what one of my beautiful rose bushes had grown into.
Then, came out the gardening shears. I had to clip all of the buds, which are now in our house decorating our dining room table. Then I had to trim the plant, so all of the fairly new stems were gone, and it looked a little healthy. After that was finished, I began to pull all of the leaves off of the stems! After being pricked with the thorns several times, I finally finished! The end product was rather bare and a little depressing knowing that winter is approaching, but I felt very accomplished as well. If I can keep these roses alive, I will be able to say I can garden!! Too bad I won't be able to tell until next spring...Until Next Time...

3 comments:

Laura said...

oh man- gardening in the winter! good luck w/ the roses... i hope they keep!

i really hope you and casey can get some use out of that book- northern minnesota is so BEAUTIFUL and i've had some amazing times up there! enjoy this weekend :)

tell casey good work on the marathon... that is freaking awesome!

love, laura

Danielle said...

SNOW already! Oh, goodness - the joys of living in the north. I'm sure it won't be enough snow for a snowman this early in the season, but once it starts dumping, can you build one for me? hehe! :)

Just Add Water said...

Your pictures are great... I would LOVE to have a real fall! It's amazing the difference from N. Florida to Tampa. I can only imagine how great it is up in Minnesota right now! Enjoy and we love you guys!!!